Monday, October 7, 2013

Some Original Poems

A Happy Poem                                                                                  (free-verse)

Sometimes, The Journey is not what it seems.
The path is clear but
beware the smoofas;
they hide under the bed.

The dial tone asks
too many questions.
Can I drink my way
to Heaven?

A man a plan a canal Panama.
A plan.

The shortest distance
between two points is a line.
How thick
should I draw the line?
What color
should it be? Should I
use a ruler?

What happens                                                                        My favorite color
when a clock runs                                                                   is green. blue. red. green.
out of batteries?
No, this is
a happy poem.                                                                        No more questions.
                                                                                               Time for answers.


My mother knows                                                                   In music lies
the answers.                                                                            the answer.
“Keep your head up.”                                                              Keep nodding your head.
“They’re jealous.”                                                                    Never stop smiling.
“Be a leader.”                                                                          Your insides define you.
                                                                                               We only have what we remember.
                                                                                               Surround yourself with love.
_________________________________________________________________________________

That Man Behind the Curtain                                                 (free-verse)

Pay no attention
to the words in this poem,
for you cannot even
call it one.
Attempting to find
symbols or hidden meanings will prove
to be a hindrance.
This poem is blunt and
straight-forward.
There shall be no debate
over its interpretation;
everything is right here,
flowing from my pen
to the page which started blank.
_________________________________________________________________________________

I liked my topic within "That Man Behind the Curtain" and wanted to go further and formalize it a bit. I wanted to turn it into a Shakespearean sonnet to both make fun of the sonnet tradition (troubadour love), and to create a love song to the sonnet and art itself. I hate to post a work-in-progress, but I'm stuck. I'm missing 2 lines from my final quatrain and also the closing couplet. Here is what I have; I would love criticism and feedback.

Sonnet I
Pay no attention to these words you read.
This po'm can hardly be defined as such.
If finding symbols is your desperate need,
I'm sorry that I have no artist's touch;
I bear no seer's sight nor bard's true tongue,
Inspired not by nature's 'ternal grace.
Alas, I cannot leave my song unsung.
Unclothe the body then expose her face.
Straightforward is this poem-- simple, too.
It means exactly what it says right here.....

No comments:

Post a Comment